Friday, May 24, 2019

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens




by



My local, daytime, library book group selection for June is Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.   Beautifully written,  it is the happiest sad book I have ever read.  It is the story of a young girl named Kya, abandoned by her family, who learns to fend for herself in the coastal marshes of North Carolina.   The "proper" townspeople shun her and tell awful legends about her, but she does have people who reach out to her on the fringes of the small local community's society.  As I read I found myself rooting for Kya to survive and to flourish.  Her feelings and her surroundings were described in such exquisite detail that the book is almost more like a painting than a written work.   While I questioned whether or not the book was realistic, I allowed myself not to worry about that and just enjoy the story.   It is a fiction story and I didn't need it to be believable.  The book entertained me,  it kept me on the edge of my chair,  and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  For those that don't read,  a movie is in the works.   This is a novel that I will remember fondly and that will stay with me for a long time.  Please click on the author's name and book title above to follow the links to more information.  And enjoy the beautiful interview in the video that follows.  





No comments:

Post a Comment