Saturday, May 4, 2019

Black Water Rising by Attica Locke




by




The daytime library book group in the town where I live and which I attend,  has selected for its May book Black Water Rising by Attica Locke.  I listened to it on audio and the narrator did a good job.  The book has excellent subject matter.  It is a novel that involves the Civil Rights Movement and covers such topics as the deaths of Fred Hampton and Mark Clark who were killed by Chicago  Police.  Read more about that  HERE.  And the hiding of oil by oil companies in the late 1970s.  Read  more  about the oil crisis that took place then  HERE.  It is a mystery and I did not figure out the ending before it happened.  Normally I don't care for mysteries because I solve them early on in the book.  But this novel was so involved that I was lost trying to follow what exactly was going on.  I couldn't put the pieces together at all and found myself frustrated.  It jumped between a few different time frames and various relationships.  As a result I was frustrated for much of the book and found myself wishing it was over rather frequently.  Then the last quarter of the book it came together for me and I have to say I do like the book.  Unfortunately, it was such a chore for me to get through that I hesitate to recommend it to anyone else.  It is a book that covers important topics and is well written.  The author is very good with  descriptions.  While it was hard for me to finish I think it is an excellent selection for a book group because it is filled with important topics to discuss.  It is worth sticking it out but not for the faint hearted.   Please click on the authors name and the book title above to follow the links to learn more.  And enjoy the video that follows.  





No comments:

Post a Comment