Sunday, September 1, 2019

Jell-O Girls by Allie Rowbottom




by




     Although I am not a big memoir fan, I highly recommend this one.  Allie Rowbottom has perfectly captured the conflict between self actualization and the advertising industry.  As a family member who benefited from the Jello dynasty, Allie Rowbottom points out how the expectations painted in the commercials for jello contributed to generations of women which struggled with both emotional trauma and physical illness.  The book is a loving tribute to her mother and challenges all mothers to give their daughters voices that can speak out when confronted with painful events instead of internalizing them.  The book presents no pat answers but raises questions basic to the female experience of growing up in the twentieth century.   I haven't eaten any jello for a long time,  but from now on whenever I do,  I will think of both my mother and my daughter.  If you are up for a thought provoking experience, reach for this book.   Please click on the author's name and book title above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the Jello commercial that follows.  









No comments:

Post a Comment