Sunday, October 11, 2020

Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin

 




by




After George Floyd's death I recommitted myself to interspersing into my reading lists some of the body of work that would help me understand where we are and where we have come from in this country's race relations.  I reached out to a black classmate from my high school graduating class of 1975 to see what she might recommend as far as reading material.  She said a book that changed her life was "Black Like Me".  I added it to my reading list and just finished listening to it on audio.   

This book is a classic.  Everyone should read it as a part of their eduction.  It is the story of a white man who darkens his skin and enters the black world of segregation in the south in the late 1950s.  The edition I listened to had an epilogue by the author that was added in 1976.  John Howard Griffin died in 1980.  I wonder what insights he would have today.  

My friend CJ was correct.  This book is life changing.  I encourage everyone to read it.  Please click on the book title and author's name above to follow the links to more information, and also watch the video that follows.  But most importantly, update your personal reading list to include material to educate yourself on the racial issues we face as Americans.  And begin to read that material.  I mean it.  Really.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment