Sunday, January 15, 2017

Saturday Night Genealogy Challenge - Best Find - New Challenge











This weeks Saturday Night Genealogy Challenge involved sharing our best find of 2016 and what we hope to find in 2017.  The original challenge post with the people who participated in the comment section can be found HERE.  We are to share our best find of 2016 and the research problem we want to work on in 2017.  I found a lot of neat stuff in 2016 because I broke my leg.  Three months in a recliner with my lap top lent itself to research.  One ancestor I found out some cool information about was my great, great, great, great grandfather's brother, Samuel Southard Patton, who is not to be confused with my great, great, great grandfather of the same name.   Uncle Sam's photo and obituary are pictured above and I believe if you click on them they should enlarge enough to be readable.   The reason I chose this bit of information to share is that it is connected with one of the research goals I have for the year.  In the obituary it mentions that during the Civil War Samuel served in the Kansas Home Guards and that his principles were what brought him to Anderson County Kansas as a Free Soiler.  I know that abolitionists moved to Kansas during the pre-civil war days of Bloody Kansas in order to make sure there was enough votes to determine Kansas to be a free state and not a slave state when it was voted into statehood because of the passing of the Kansas Nebraska Act.   I would like to not only find a military record for Samuel but I would like to find out more about his role as an abolitionist.  His father in law was a man named Samuel Tipton and he also was involved in the fight to prevent Kansas from becoming  a slave state.  I would like to find more out about both these men and the roles they played prior to and during the Civil War.  I have checked NARA and not found military files for these two men.  I am hoping since they were in the militia that the state of Kansas has information on their service.  I would like to take a trip to Anderson County Kansas and see the area where they lived and visit The Patton Cemetery.  Samuel Tipton's homes are still standing and are in the National Register of Historic Homes and can be seen HERE.  I would like to visit those two homes.  It is my understanding from talking to people who live in that area of Kansas that Samuel Patton and his wife's home was on the land of Samuel Tipton's Mineral Point property.  I am very interested in this part of the family history and would like to learn more.  



No comments:

Post a Comment