Monday, January 23, 2017

The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens




by


Last summer TIME Magazine did a review of The Life We Bury and I placed the title on my Wish List at Amazon.  So when it turned up on my library reading group's list for February I was excited to finally take time to read it.  I decided to listen to it on audio and it was a real treat.  The story line is a college student gets a writing assignment to interview a person and write a biography on them.  The student ends up interviewing a Viet Nam veteran who is dying of cancer.  This man was incarcerated thirty years ago for raping and murdering a high school cheer leader.  The college student,  along with his apartment house neighbor,  decides to re-investigate the case to find out if he thinks the dying man is guilty or not.  The book gets very exciting as the students zero in on re-creating the truth.   There is also a lot of depth to the book as far as the experiences of both the student and the dying man and how they come to know one another through the interviews.  It is a sit on the edge of your chair type book and I highly recommend it.  






No comments:

Post a Comment