Monday, June 15, 2009

A Special Update For Those Who Miss Me




Perhaps you noticed I have not been around much the last few days?   I have decided to use the time that I normally enjoy wasting it doing fun things on my computer to work toward getting my RN.  I am currently an LPN and have always thought I would get my RN and even have started a few times.   It seemed like every time I did start I would end up in the throes of a divorce or some other life changing event that took up my time and energy.   This time it's now or never as I am now in my early 50s.   I decided to go the distant learning route as working full time it seems to be the way for me.   Being a person who likes to spend time alone with her nose in a book makes it a do able route to proceed.  So I got set up this past Friday night with the College Network and began my work.  I am finally done making index cards for chapter one.  I started Friday night after work and finished up this afternoon.   The chapter was fifteen pages long and I wrote out 120 index cards.   I hope to get through between a chapter and a  half to two chapters a week.  Which will put me at taking the Anatomy and Physiology test in about ten weeks hopefully.  Actually that is a pretty normal amount of time to get through such a class if I went to a setting where I sat in a classroom so I figure it's not so bad to expect it to take that long to sink in by myself.  I will just keep plunking away.    The good news is that of those 120 index cards the vast majority of them are things I either know pretty well because I use it a lot,  or things I know fairly well because I remember them,  or things that I need to brush up on because I have forgotten but I do remember learning at some point.   So while there is a vast amount of information,  I know most of it to one degree or another already.   It is a good thing that I am not trying to process this much NEW information.  I would be overwhelmed.    The other good news is that I really find the subject matter  interesting.  I can just get lost doing the homework.   But while it is not hard work it is tedious work so I will have to stick to it.   I tend to make index cards for a paragraph and then get up and do a sink of dishes and then do another paragraph and get up and fold a load of laundry.  That sort of thing.   But it is better to do a little and rest my mind I think.  I hope to be done with the entire thing in-between  a year and a half to two years.   I will be checking in here at MP a couple times a week on my days off and see how you all are doing.  
 

9 comments:

  1. Good for you, Mary! I am really impressed with your attitude and your determination to succeed! Way to go!!!!! All the best in your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laci. I will absorb all the encouragement you send my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. go for it it is really not to hard now that you have the time-in Ca they had wonderful programs for this and I even got my Nurse Practitioner that way-go for it my friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aspiring to be all that you wish for and want is excellent. I'm sure you'll meet your goal.

    Never told anyone this before, but when I was way younger (1870 something), I almost majored in the medical field, but teaching called out at me; thus I majored in English to teach Eng. Lit and Creative Writing. Got the degree, but never taught. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi - you have been an inspiration to me in several areas of my life and my education is one of them. TY!

    Bill - TY for the positive force you send into my life! And BTW, you had to write, it is your gift. You heal with your words in ways that others heal with their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear! Stick with it. If it's something you enjoy learning, it should go quite smoothly. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx dude - I anticipate the process to be enjoyable and have every thing that I have two of crossed that the results are positive. Your faith in me is something I will hang on to as I work through the chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you, as I have the same desire to have my nose in a book.. online works for me too.. have to be disciplined enough to to it.. you are.. WOW!... good for you! ~beams with much pride at her friend!~

    ReplyDelete
  9. TY Suz. Smiles in the beam of light!

    ReplyDelete