Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Major Life Accomplishment For Me



Those of you that have been following my blogs for awhile perhaps will remember that way back in Y360 days, or about 2 1/2 years ago,  my wok leaked onto my stove top and in an instant I had a stove top fire.   The fire extinguisher that had been under my sink forever worked and no major damage was done.  I cleaned up the mess myself although it took me a few weeks to get all the coating  on things cleaned up on into the living and dining areas from the kitchen.   All though no major harm was done,  my stove has never quite been the same.   I don't think it was the fire so much as the powder from the extinguisher that permeated into every thing.   Powder was visible in the clock and I am sure was settled into the inner workings of things.   First to go out was the self cleaning oven ability. I think it was a timing thing as it turned on but not off.   Then the oven just no longer was the right temperature and eventually areas of the oven were too hot and areas too cool.

I kept putting off buying a new stove for obvious reasons.   I  dreamed about a corning wear top stove until I read that canning is not a good idea on them due to the possibility of cracking caused by the weight of the water bath canner.   Then I dreamed about a 40 inch model.   I had to talk myself out of that one as the cupboards did not really facilitate the size and I would have to spend money having things adjusted after spending more on the larger stove to begin with.   Mark helped me reason that out with the promise of some help with a dishwasher.  I so want a dishwasher.   He then sweetened it with the promise of a new fan/light/hood installed as soon as one comes on sale at Menards.  So I went with a standard size stove.

Right after the first of the year I started watching the January sales and finally bit last week.  Today my new stove was delivered.  Woot!  Woot!   Woot!

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! What kind of burners does it have? Are they the coil type or the solid flat areas? (I'm not even sure they still make the coil type anymore. Something I really liked about those, though, were that they had stainless steel surfaces that could be removed and cleaned. Current models have the enameled surface right up to the burners and these areas can be heck to clean, especially if grease pos or spill close and stains. Even worse is if it is a white stovetop. Grr!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we bought our house ten years ago I was lucky enough to get a new stove with a Corning? top. I don't can anymore since nothing you can can grows in the desert heat, so that was not a consideration for me. I love this stove. It has a matching microwafe with fan above. Since we bought our first stove in 1947, a Magic Chef gas stove with a separate broiler, this is the best stove I've ever had. Glad you got a new one, and I like th black finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Mary Ellen! Wish you the best with that new stove!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The coil type as I use a water bath canner in the late summer and early fall to can. The weight of the canner is not a good thing for the corning stove tops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think a combo hood will fit in the area I have for a hood nor do I think it is feasible money wise for me. But I really like to combo microwave/hoods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your good wishes Belita!

    ReplyDelete