Saturday, June 5, 2010

Freedom Of Speech?



Many times I have been teased that with my mouth  I would not last five minutes in a country other than the USA,  so the thought of being forbidden to speak out and say what I think brings to mind   an image of being in a foreign country.   Therefore the knowledge of "veggie liable laws"  just sits wrong with me.   Click HERE for more information.  When an industry becomes so powerful it is able to stop people from talking about whether or not  it does things in a correct manner in my mind a futuristic and apocalyptic aura emerges.   While certainly when being critical of anyone a person should be careful to have their facts straight,  it is ridiculous to state a person can't say that they have made a personal choice not to eat meat and to state why they chose that.   To spend large amounts of money so that people can't afford to fight for their right of free speech is not proper use of our justice system.  Click HERE for one man's opinion on this topic.  And for a closer look at the meaning behind  our first amendment click HERE.    I still eat some meat but have vastly cut back how often.  This allows me to use the money and the calories I would have previously spent on meat on fresh fruits and vegetables.  Not eating meat very often has caused me to explore vegan alternatives and some vegan thought processes.   I should not be at risk of any litigation for saying so.  
Attachment: oei-02-08-00080.pdf

17 comments:

  1. No you shouldn't! Food choices should not be subject to attack. One's opinion is what one is entitled to, or what is the point of being free. How can you libel someone by stating a food preference?

    These damn corporations have practically been declared having political rights just like individuals thanks to The Supreme Court's recent judgement in the Citizens United case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The size and power of the corporation in many business areas is just as I said - creating a futuristic and apocalyptic aura. I am not comfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither am I and many like us. Well done essay Mary Ellen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TY Doug. I am glad to have been young at the time in this country's history that I was and sometimes I feel badly for young people today. I wonder if each generation feels that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. one year we hear..."eating eggs will kill ya" next year "eggs are good for ya" same as with pork....now it is "the other white meat" when company profits and bottom line enter the picture the situation can and does change often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New information changes the opinions too. But when any industry uses unhealthy practices the consumer has a right to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And yet now, on the Right, there are people fighting laws by the FDA to expand safety measures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately the FDA is not doing the inspections of food manufacturing facilities like they used to do.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/06/AR2010040604251.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. If these articles are about the bill I was reading about last week then it did not pass in May of this year.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6365HU20100407

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just attached a govt report on FDA inspections of food manufacturing facilities to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't taken the time to find the link where our meat was USDA inspected and then refused by Mexican receivers but it is out there if anyone wants to take the time to find it..it's a sad time when we will eat food inspected here in this country and then refused by Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look what is happening about food being imported into this country. We have a large measure of trust that it is free of contamination and is edible. There is simply too much coming in for anyone to give more than a cursory inspection. Its going to take a major incident from China or another country before we wake us and smell the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree Stephen. Sans had a post the other day on Whole Foods and their frozen veggies - including "California Mix" - being imported from China. Even though they claim to be organically grown in China, I find that kind of scary. So I looked on the back of my frozen veggie bags which I buy at Krogers. I generally buy the Kroger brand and that is what I have in my freezer now. They are labeled from "Mexico" or from "Mexico and the US". I never noticed country of origin labeling before. They did pass a new labeling law last winter and they are supposed to have more consumer info on the labels now. I wonder if country of origin is part of that or if it is something I just never paid attention to before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am nosing around and trying to see what I can get in season that is from local sources. But being in the Midwest and the growing season approaching gives me an edge over someone who lives some other kinds of places.

    ReplyDelete
  15. With all the pollution in China I wouldn't eat ANYTHING grown there. Just the idea about the amount of lead is one that makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes Stephen I was very surprised to learn that Whole Foods was selling frozen foods from China.

    ReplyDelete