Sunday, September 29, 2013

Book Of The Week 9-30-2013: The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom


by

While at my blood pressure check up at my GP last month I was reading  my Kindle and the nurse asked me what I was reading.  As we talked about books we liked she said "Best book I have read this year is The Kitchen House."  So I jotted it down and later went online looking for it.   And while I am not sure I will place it as number one  for 2013,  I am pretty sure it will end up some place in the top three of my top ten list when I post it at the end of the year.   I really enjoyed this book!  The novel takes place late 1700s, early 1800s,  in Virginia.  This is a time frame and location that I am very fond of reading about.   A child who loses her parents aboard ship during their immigration  trip from Ireland to America is kept by the Captain of the ship as an indentured servant to pay for the family's passage.  He brings her to his tobacco plantation in Virginia and tells the cook he has obtained some help for her.  Lavinia is only seven years old when she arrives at Tall Oaks.  She is frightened and has forgotten how to talk.  The cook and other slaves of the tobacco farm embrace her as part of their family and she grows into an attractive young woman who eventually marries into the family of "the big house".    This is the story of Lavinia's divided loyalties between the people she has grown up with and  loved as family and her in laws which are her family as an adult.  It is a story of disillusionment and disappointment that matures into compromise and new life.  Click on the title and author's name above to learn more.  And enjoy the author's video that follows.


No comments:

Post a Comment