Monday, September 16, 2013

Book Of The Week 9/17/13: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


by

This months selection for my library reading group is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.   I have to admit that when The Hunger Games was first released and then the movie came out and was such a hit I felt it sounded so graphically violent that I did not want anything to do with it.  Then  a little over a year ago I visited my son in Denver and his room mate wanted to watch the movie so I joined in and was very impressed.  I enjoyed the movie very much and felt it was very well done.  So when the book was selected for September by my library reading group I was glad to get a chance to read it.  Then when it came right down to reading it I hesitated to pick it up and kind of drug my feet.  I had the notion that quite likely I would have trouble putting it down and end up losing out on some sleep.   But in fact for two thirds of the book a chapter or two a night was fine.  Then the last hundred  pages or more I had to keep reading.  I think I finished the book at five am yesterday morning.   It is a book that the author wrote to teach young adults about war.  It is about a futurist society where the haves make the have nots sacrifice a male and a female child or teen from twelve different districts to fight to the death each year.  The games are similar to our various reality TV series'  today in that they were filmed for all to watch.   I think what I like best about the book is that to me the message in the end is about non conformity and beating the system.   I liked the book very much and I am sure I will get around to reading the rest of the trilogy.   It fact it will probably make my top ten list of books I have read in  2013. Click on the title and author's name above to follow links to more information and enjoy the video below.   I highly recommend that every one read this book if for  no other reason than to know what the young adults today are reading.  Due to high popularity this series is a part of our culture now.





No comments:

Post a Comment