Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani



by





This novel is the  selection for the Columbia City library book club for the April 22 meeting.  I just finished listening to it on audio this afternoon and I have to admit that I cried more times through this book than I have any book or movie for a long time.  Sometimes if a book or a movie is a tear jerker there will be one event or one part of the story line that causes one to get a little teary eyed.  This book had several places where the tears just roll down one's cheeks.  It is the story of Italian immigration early in the 20th Century.  I have studied different waves of immigration to USA through my family tree research but most of my family came over late 1700s or early 1800s.  Although I do have a couple of lines that came over late 1800s,  no one that I have run across in my family came as recently as the 1900s,  so I had not really explored this time frame of immigration much.   The first difference I noticed was that the ship ride over was down to nine days.  I also appreciated the way the author made Ellis Island seem very real.  Adriana Trigiani  was inspired to write this story from her  grandparents experiences and the novel is a fictionalized account of their lives.  I highly recommend this novel.  Just be sure to have a big box of Kleenex near by.  Please click on the author's name and the book title above to find out more information.  And enjoy the video that follows.


No comments:

Post a Comment