Sunday, July 3, 2016

Observing July 4, 2016

The celebration of July 4th in the United States is the celebration of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  This was the announcement of our breaking away from England and resulted in our Revolutionary War.  This year I decided I would observe my nation's birthday by reviewing three of my ancestors that fought in our revolution. 



Cornelius Sullivan 

1749 -1816



My ancestor,  Major Cornelius Sullivan,  lived in Maryland.   I have not been able to locate his parents although there are arguments that his family is connected to Sir Phillip O'Sullivan of  County Cork Ireland.  I can find no evidence yet of his being any type of direct descendant or any connection at all yet to the people who lived at Ardea Castle in Ireland.  But often these family history stories have some basis.  Perhaps there is an illegitimate or distant connection.  Sullivan is a very common name though so there may be no basis for such stories.  I do know that he is connected to my nuclear family in several different directions.  The two most direct are through his son Jacob whose son Francis H Sullivan descends to my father's family and Jacob's son Cornelius descends to my mother's family.   Francis H Sullivan was the father of Aimee Francis Sullivan who was the mother of Leona Sullivan who was the mother of Fred Rohrer who was the father of my father.   Jacob's son Cornelius Sullivan was the father of Amelia Jane Sullivan who was the mother of Clara Barton Patton who was the mother of Georgia Ethel Shepler who was the mother of Loyd Rairigh who was my mother's father.  Amelia Jane's sister Hannah had a daughter named Alice Keller who married a man named Bert Shepler.  Bert's father was not only a Shepler which is my mother's grandmother Georgia Ethel's maiden name but Bert's mother was a Shively which was my father's mother's maiden name. So there is some type of double cousin relationship there.  Jacob Sullivan's son Samuel had a daughter named Martha Alice who married a Lewis Little.  Lewis's sister Harriet married Daniel P Shively and was my father's mother's grandmother.  These types of close family intertwining is typical of those that have my type of Pennsylvania Dutch heritage. 


1st Sergeant David Hamilton Morris Sr

1769 - 1843

David Hamilton Morris served in the Indian Wars and the War of 1812 besides serving in the Revolution.  He started serving in the revolution young in the capacity of a drummer boy and was wounded.  He went back to serve more after recovering and was then old enough to be a private.  David Hamilton Morris's father was also a soldier in the revolution and as a result died on a British Prison Ship.  David Hamilton Morris's daughter Martha Jane married Francis H Sullivan who I explained above how that line goes into my father's family and his niece Maria Morris married Cornelius Sullivan who was pointed out above as the grandson of Major Cornelius Sullivan and whose line descends into my mother's family.  Maria's father was David Hamilton Morris's brother Charles.  



Peter Sheafor 

1754 - 1826


Peter Sheafor served in the New Jersey Militia during our Revolution.   He returned home after he served and married his wife Catherine.  They moved to Mercer County Kentucky for five years and then on to Butler County Ohio where he died in 1826.  I have not been able to determine who his parents were or who his wife's parents were although it is believed that Catherine's maiden name was Coolbaugh.   Peter and Catherine had a daughter Elizabeth who married Isaac Southard Patton.  They had a son Vincent who had a son that Vincent and his wife named after their brother Samuel Southard Patton.  The younger Samuel married Amelia Jane Sullivan and it is explained in a prior paragraph of this post how this couple's family is connected to mine.  


I would like to wish everyone a safe and happy 4th of July!



No comments:

Post a Comment