Sunday, July 3, 2016

Visit To Kent State Memorial July 2, 2016


May 4, 1970

 As our lives unfold there are current events that imprint  in our memory.  For example,  I clearly remember the assassinations of John and Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King.  I can remember when we landed on the moon and when Patty Hurst was on trial.  I also remember being horrified after the students were shot at Kent State University and for several years now I have had aspirations to visit the memorial site for that tragedy.   This weekend I was able to achieve that goal.   Saturday July 2 was a beautiful day weather wise as my husband and I walked the May 4 walking tour at Kent State.   Although the Visitors Center was closed for the holiday weekend,  we were able to call our on our cell phones and listen to the audio tour as we walked.  That number is available for anyone to call at 330-672-6294.  To see the location where this historical event took place was very moving.  Looking at the pictures of the young people involved and realizing that they were the age of my oldest step grand daughter and my youngest step son made me catch my breath.   To know that in the United States we have the right to peaceful assembly and to realize how very senseless was the loss of life and the injuries of these young people brought a lump to my throat.  The Kent State University Library has digital archives that are online and contain both written and audio footage donated by people who were in some way close to the event and can be found online HERE.  I would encourage everyone to visit this memorial and to bring their children and other family members when they do so in order to open dialog about issues related to teaching peace and the subject of peaceful protests. 











No comments:

Post a Comment