Saturday, October 1, 2016

Saturday Night First Genealogy Society Challenge




A year or so  before the start of the new century I began researching my family history.  Then around 2004 I attended a couple of meetings of a genealogy group at the local library in the town I where was living at that time.  About the second time I attended a comment was made about coughing up a membership fee.  I wrote them a check - it was only about a twelve dollar membership - and never went to another meeting.  The meetings were not that outstanding and I wasn't getting that much information from them.  I had no ancestors in that particular county but happened to be living there myself at that time.  I did not appreciate having my arm twisted to write a check.  If I am honest,  I have to admit, I am not a joiner.  I am not comfortable in social groups.  I am not only an introvert but I find I lack patience with people in the social setting.  I use up all my patience in a professional setting and with family members so by the time I get to people in a club type setting I am easily annoyed.   Also before group gatherings I experience some mild anxiety.   Therefore I don't join a lot of things.  I know social interaction is important to mental health and so I do have try to have a few things I do with others on a regular basis.   Since I work second shift it isn't conducive to attend meetings anyway since most of them are in the evening.  So when I joined the Ohio Genealogical Society almost a year ago it was unusual.  I had aspirations to gain the experience of putting together a lineage society application and I had chosen to apply to one for the ADEAW.  I had been trying to put the application together  for a year and not having success as  I was stuck on one generation.   I decided I wanted to use the hard work I had done to apply for a lineage society that would work with what I did have documentation wise.  One of the OGS groups - First Families Of Ohio - was a fit.  It cost less to apply if one was a member and it also cost less if one joined to attend the spring conference where they would have  induction dinners for their lineage societies new members.   So I joined to save money.   I have found the OGS to be an organization that has a lot to offer.  I intend to renew my membership when the year is up.   I do not go to many of the events they offer but I did really enjoy the annual conference last April and hope to attend the one in 2017.   I also hope to have more time to become involved with OGS events after I retire.  To visit the blog where the Saturday night challenge is posted and find the links to everyone who participated click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment