Saturday, October 22, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Challenge 10/22/16



My grandmother Doris Shively Whitehouse and I before a Mother/Daughter banquet
circa 1967



This week's challenge question is:  When you reflect back as a child, do you now see things that you did then, that show your interest in knowing extended family and/or your future interest in genealogy?  In order to see the other participants links and comments click HERE.  

The short answer for me is no.  But I was lucky since both of my parents parents divorced and remarried so I had twice as many grandparents as my friends.  As a result,  extended family was always a part of my life.  There were family gatherings with aunts, uncles and cousins a few times each year.   So I didn't have a specific interest but it was just normal to know them.  I have mentioned before in earlier challenges that my mother was interested in genealogy and drug us around to cemeteries when we were kids.  We were made to help find the stones she was looking for.  I hated it at the time but look back on those memories as good ones.  Also, once,  when I was about ten,  there was a mother and daughter banquet at the church my family was attending and we were to have wedding dresses modeled of several historical time periods.  My grandmother had her grandmother's wedding dress.  At age ten I was the only one in the family small enough to fit into the dress so I got to model it.  This was a really big deal to me.  See the picture at the beginning of this blog.  My sister and I have since donated the dress to the Miami County Museum in Peru Indiana.  Another interest that I had as a child that is related would be an early appreciation for history.  I loved to read as a child and my favorite books were the pioneer stories of the Oregon Trail.   Therefore,  while the short answer remains no to the question, the long answer is that I was exposed to things as a young person, and had related interests so that ending up with an passion for family history is not that far fetched of a result.  

No comments:

Post a Comment