Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Poetzsch




by



Some of the books I have enjoyed the most have been books recommended to me by others and that is the case with the book I just finished listening to on audio called The Hangman's Daughter.  It is the first of a series of historical mysteries by Oliver Poetzsch about a man who is in his family history.   Although fiction the books are based on fact.  Mysteries are not my genre but I do occasionally read one or listen to one as a break from other types of books and when I do I prefer mysteries that have some historical significance.  With my interest in genealogy this book was right up my alley.   Although a little dark it is a book that I will not forget and I highly recommend it as a good read.  It is  the story of an executioner in the 1600s that is trying to save the town midwife from being burnt at the stake for witch craft.  She is accused because children are turning up murdered in the area.   The author's ancestor is the hangman and while the mystery story is fiction the framework of the details of the hangman's trade along with the descriptions of a typical 17th century town in what is now Bavaria  are factual.   I enjoyed the book very much and will be thanking my brother for recommending it.  Please click on the book title and author's name above to follow the link to more information and enjoy the video that follows.  




No comments:

Post a Comment