Tuesday, April 9, 2019

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah




by



My daytime library book group book selection for this month is The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. I was looking forward to the book because I really liked The Nightingale by the same author.  I was disappointed.  The author does a great job with her writing style and description in this novel.  I felt like I was there.  But some of  the primary characters I did not like.  I especially had no respect for the mother of the girl named Leni.  Leni's mother was named Cora.  She wasn't a person who made a mistake here and there.  Cora made one bad choice after another and kept Leni in an  unhealthy situation.   Cora's husband and Leni's father was an abusive drunk.  There were many opportunities to leave him and people in the community offered to help.  Cora just refused help and refused to get Leni into a safe home environment.  I am not a fan of reading about abuse anyway and in this book the abusive situation just drags on and on.  The book has the feel of a young adult novel and Leni and Cora are over bonded.  I would not recommend it to others although the book is a wonderful example of how to write description in a manner that holds interest.  Please click on the book title and the author's name above for more information and enjoy the video that follows and form your own opinion.    




No comments:

Post a Comment