Sunday, May 21, 2017

Saturday Night Genealogy Challenge: Homes I have lived in


The house on 7th street in Peru Indiana where my family lived at the time I was born.


 This weeks Saturday Night Challenge and the links to every one who joined in can be found HERE.  The challenge consists of listing every place that I have ever lived as my home.  It is not to include places I have visited and not lived.  


1)  West 7th Street,  Peru,  Indiana.   My family lived in this house when I was born.  My mother,  father,  older sister and older brother were already living there when I arrived.  My father added an apartment on the back of the home and my great grandmother lived there the years I was growing up.  

2) Moberly, Missouri - my father worked for the N&W R R while I was growing up and we moved around a great deal.  I may not have the order of these early places correct.  

3) Springfield, Illinois - I remember bits and pieces about this time.  It is still one of my favorite towns to go back and visit.  

4) Decatur, Illinois - my younger sister was born while we lived here.  

5) Kansas City, Missouri - I attended kindergarten and started first grade in Kansas City.  President Kennedy was shot while I lived there. 

6) Jennings, Missouri - was a white middle class neighborhood in St Louis when we lived there.  I finished first grade, went to second grade and started third grade in this setting.   I remember a race riot.  I wonder if it was when MLK was shot. 

7) Decatur, Illinois - back to Decatur.  My parents rented a big house on a lake this time.  We were not here too many months.  I attended the middle portion of third grade.  It was winter.  

8) Montpelier, Ohio -  I finished third grade,  attended fourth and fifth grade here.  It was my favorite place we lived while I was growing up.   The Kent State Shooting occurred while we lived here.  

9) Wallick Road,  Peru, Indiana - Sixth through Sophomore year.

10) 7th Street,  Peru, Indiana - I moved in with my great grandmother for my junior year at Peru High School.  

11) Wallick Road, Peru, Indiana - I moved back in with my parents for my senior year and graduated from Maconaquah High School.  

12) West 6th Street, Peru, Indiana.  Nixson resigned during this time. 

13) West Third Street,  Peru Indiana - my father bought a house and rented it to me because renting a decent place on my $3.55 an hour as an LPN was not to be found.  

14) Grissom Air Force Base, Bunker Hill Indiana - I married an Airman and we moved on base.  The Iran Crisis began while we lived here.  My husband was put on alert when it happened. 

15) Biloxi,  Mississippi - an apartment in an apartment complex.   There was a hurricane while we lived there. 

16) Colorado Springs,  Colorado - I gave birth to my first born children - twins.  Reagan was shot while we lived there.  

17) Egypt Hill Road,  Peru, Indiana - seperated

18) New Brunswick,  New Jersey - a story in itself - I wrote my aunt that I was in New Jersey living on love and spaghetti.  

19) Scott AFB, Belleville, Illinois - back with the twins father 

20) Sycamore Street, North Manchester,  Indiana -  my youngest son Scott was born while I lived in this home.  I obtained a divorce while living here from my children's father. 

21) Wabash, Indiana - an apartment in an apartment complex. 

22) Berwick Drive, Valparaiso, Indiana - remarried.  We all wore dressy hats because Princess Diana did. 

23) Riverside Drive,  Buchanana, MI 

24) Main Street,  Buchanan, MI - Divorced - in a home I purchased,  lived in and flipped. 

25) West Clear Lake Drive,  Buchanan, MI - Remarried. This was my experience at "homesteading"  type living.  It was the most secure financially I ever felt because the home and acreage was paid for.  

26) Niles, Michigan - Divorced.  This was an apartment in an old house.  

27) Columbia City, Indiana - and apartment in an apartment  complex.  

28) South Shore Court,  Columbia City, Indiana -  My condo - the place I lived that I felt was mine and that I was not just living at my father's home or my husbands home.  It is also the place I lived the longest.  I was there ten years.  Single and content.  


My Condo in Columbia City Indiana


29)  Wilmington Ohio - Remarried.  This is where I live now and where I intend to stay for the duration.  We do have hopes to winter in Arizona in our retirement years but that is five years out.  And we plan to spend our summers here in Wilmington.   I like Ohio. 


While doing this,  I had to back up four times and add in a place and re-number.  I worry that as soon as I hit publish I will remember another place I lived.  But I think this makes clear that I have lived quite a few places.   But all of them have been in the US and most have been  in the mid-west.   In my genealogy searching,  I keep thinking I will find a gypsy but so far have not.   

No comments:

Post a Comment