Monday, May 29, 2017

Amanuensis Monday: A Day Late

A  man named John Newmark is the original creator  of the concept of a weekly amanuensis blog but other bloggers have joined in.  HERE is the original explanation of the concept.  I am the worlds worst skimmer when it comes to reading.  And the harder the item is to read the less of it I take my time and read word for word.   Therefore I know this would be a very worthwhile exercise for me to do once a week.  My lack of self discipline will probably not allow that to happen but whatever I do get transcribed will help me to read that document carefully.  I have been very fortunate that I have a friend who loves to type and often will type things up for me.  But to do some of them myself will help me to look at the documents more carefully. 

My children's surname is Lyle.  Back in their family history is a brother of their direct ancestor whose name is Atlee Lyle.  His estate record is what I am going to attempt to transcribe. It is from the Lancaster County Pennsylvania records.  There are two pages in my possession.   If the images are clicked on they should get larger for the reader to more easily see.  





Page One

341  Know all men by these presents that we Doratha Lyle of Bart & J M Hess & Samuel Fagan (?) of Eden Township are held and firmly bound unto the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in the sum of Seven Hundred Dollars to be paid to the said Commonwealth for the use of the parties interested in the estate of Atlee Lyle, late of Bart Township, deceased, to which payment, well and truly to be made, we bind ourselves jointly and severally, for, and in the whole, our heirs, executors and administrators, firmly by these presents.  Sealed with our seals, and dated the sixteenth day of January  in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and sixty six. 

The condition of this obligation is such, that if the above bounden Doratha Lyle, administrator is of all and singular the goods, chattels and credits of the said Atlee Lyle, deceased, do make or cause to be made, a true and perfect inventory of all and singular, the goods, chattels and credits of the said deceased, which have come or shall come to the hands, possession or knowledge of her, the said, Doratha Lyle or into the hands, possession or knowledge of any person or persons for her, and the same so made, do exhibit or cause to be exhibited, into the Register's Office, in the County Of Lancaster, within thirty days of the date hereof; and the same goods, chattels and credits, and all other  the goods, chattel and credits of the said deceased at the time of his death,  which at any time after shall come to the hands or possession of the said Doratha Lyle or into the hands or possession of any other person or persons, for her do well and truly administer according to law.  And further do make  or cause to be made, a just and true account of her said administration,  within one year of the date hereof, or when thereunto legally required.  

And all the rest and residue of the said goods, chattels and credits, which shall be found remaining upon the said administration account. (the same being first examined and allowed by the Orphans Court of the County of Lancaster) shall deliver and pay unto such person or persons, as the Orphans Court, by their decree or sentence, pursuant to law shall limit and appoint, and shall well and truly comply with the laws of this Commonwealth relating to collateral inheritances; and if it shall hereafter appear, that will and testament was made by the said deceased, and the same shall be proved according to  law, if the said Doratha Lyle, being thereunto required, do surrender the said letters of administration into the Register's Office aforesaid, then this obligation is to be void, otherwise to remain in full force,  

Sealed and delivered in the presence of 
John Jones 

Doratha Lyle her X mark  seal
J. M. Heys (?)  seal
Samuel Fagan (?) seal


Page Two


A true and perfect inventory, and just appraisement of all and singular the goods and chattel,  rights and credits which were of Atlee Lyle,  of late in the Township of Bart, in the County of Lancaster, and State of Pennsylvania, deceased, at the time of his death, to wit;

Cash $451.75
Book account of John Fallon  8.25
Book account of Richard Brisom 100.00
Note on J.W. Witmer 100.00
Wearing apparel 50.00
Grain Cradle 2.50
                712.50

Taken and prescribed by us the subscribers the twenty third day of January AD 1866

Affirmed and subscribed before me this 24 day of January A.D. 1866
Robert. Evans JP


Richard Brysar
John J Brisen


Exhibiter (?) into the Register Office at Lancaster this 7th day of March A.D. 1866 

Doratha Lyle her mark  (and some writing marked through that I can't read) 

Affirmed and subscribed before me

Emleu Franklin
Rep



I need to get back into my hard copies of documents to be sure but I don't think I ever checked to see if there was any record that showed Atlee was killed in the Civil War.   I have his brother's Civil War Pension file (the direct line ancestor)  but I don't think I ever paid to try to obtain one for Atlee.  If I had I would have scanned it and it would be in my data base.   Doratha Lyle was Atlee's mother.   J.W. Witmer was Atlee's sister Margaret's husband.  I do not recognize any of the other names in the document.  I wonder if Atlee having a grain cradle and people on his books means he was some in some type of business.  



Picture I took of Atlee Lyle and his mother Doratha Lyle's gravestones
which are located in Octorara United Presbyterian Cemetery in
Quarryville, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania





No comments:

Post a Comment