Tuesday, May 2, 2017

South Street by ZaZa Wolff



by



The library where I live has copies of this book by a local author who uses the pen name of ZaZa Wolff.  She is a member of my library writing group and I wanted to read her book.  I really enjoyed it.  Especially since it is an historical novel, which is not only my genre of choice,  but the story takes place where I now live.  I had a lot of fun trying to locate where the events took place in town.   And imaging what things might have looked like in the late 1800's when the novel takes place.  I am still not sure I have found which house was Dr. Sylvester and Hattie Boyd's home although Peggy tells me it is still standing.   I have not tried to locate Dr Martin's home or where the brick yard might have been that belonged to the McMillan family who built many of the older brick structures of the area.  The book tells the story of a murder trial in 1888 and it's appeal in 1890 along with the life events of the families that lead up to the time that George McMillan was killed by John Clifford Martin.   It is a love story and a story of life's disillusions and disappointments.  There is even a trip in a covered wagon west which is my favorite type of story.   Included in the book are details and portrayal of how Tuberculosis impacted families.   The book can be purchased if you click on the title at the top of the page and follow the link and a picture of the author can be viewed if you click on the author's name below the title and follow the link.  I enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone with ties to Clinton County Ohio or anyone who has an interest in how people lived in the midwest in the late 1800s.  





No comments:

Post a Comment