Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Giver by Lois Lowry




by



A couple of years ago a young mother suggested I read The Giver by Lois Lowry.  She was watching the movie on blue ray and it was taking her back to her school days when she was required to read it.   It has been on my wish list ever since.  I was out of credits at Audible and wanted to try to check out an audio book from the state library of Ohio and I chose The Giver because it was available along with Me Before You which I reviewed  on my last post.  The Giver is a short four hour listen and I finished it up on my way to work today.  It is a fascinating book.   It is the story of a society that is totally "fair" to every one and no one does without.  But soon one realizes as the story goes on that being without choices and being without differences is not a rich life.  This book is often assigned in schools and what a wonderful springboard for discussion it must be.  It is similar in theme to Fahrenheit 451 and Pleasantville.   Freedom, choices,  differences and knowledge are important things and this book makes one cherish them.  It is a story that really held my interest and I recommend it.  Please click on the book title and author's name above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the video that follows.  If you are not a reader then watch the movie that was made out of the book.  I hope to see it soon.  





No comments:

Post a Comment