Saturday, May 27, 2017

Saturday Night Genealogy Challenge: The Other You

This week's writing prompt is to post what we do besides genealogy.  The original post and the links to the other participants blogs can be found HERE.


I still work part time so between my job and my genealogy hobby there is not a lot of time left.  But I do have other interests.

1) I enjoy reading a variety of books.  My blog is mostly reviews of books as I finish reading them.   I also listen to audio books in the car.

2) I try to walk at least two miles several times a week.  I really enjoy hiking but since my fall on the trail that resulted my leg fracture my time on the trails has been limited.  I was out once last fall using my trek poles for safety.  I plan to be out on the trails more this year and I plan to return to the trail where the fall occurred and hike it - as long as it is not a muddy day.  Here is a picture of me just before I fell that day in February 2016.


 I try to walk my neighborhood a few times every week.   And I have been doing three or four 5k's a year - walking.  I have not progressed to running.  

3) I enjoy traveling.  My husband and I have been spending a few weeks every winter in Arizona the last couple of years and we hope to continue this.  The first year we flew but this year we did it via road trip.  I love a road trip.  In 2015 my daughter and her husband and I drove along as close to the Oregon Trail as we could.  We stopped at interpretive centers all along the way.   I also enjoy weekend jaunts.  Most of my family is three or four hours away so I am always ready to run to visit.   I also like a weekend sight seeing adventure.  If I can't get away for a couple days I like day trips.  There is a lot to see within a day trip distance of where I live.  I usually gravitate to historical or cultural type venues but love a good shopping trip too.  Especially if there are shoe stores involved. 

4) I sew a little.  Not a lot. Every few years I make chair bags for my daughter's kindergarten classroom.  Last year I made aprons for her classroom.  Here is are pictures of what these projects looked like.  





5)  We go out to eat about once a week.  I love  a good restaurant.  We try to keep our tastes reasonably priced.   Favorite places for me are PF Chang,  Abuelo's,  Olive Garden,  and Red Lobster.  My husband likes BBQ places and Mexican restaurants.  

6) Several times a year I accompany my husband while we enjoy some of his interests.  These include Reds Games,  Old Car Shows and activities with Corvette groups.  For example there is a group that drives a fall drive of corvettes in our area every fall that we enjoy.   





7) I am not a big television fan but I do watch some programs with my husband who is an avid tv person.  Sometimes we will enjoy a movie together.  I love live theater but he does not care for it so it is a girls night out for me when I go to the theater.   I try to go to a live theater production a couple times a year.  

8) I have a few flowers I put out in the yard every year and I miss having a garden but don't seem to have the time to take care of one right.  I especially enjoyed cultivating a herb garden in the past.   Maybe I will get back to this activity in the future.

These are some of the things that I enjoy in addition to genealogy.  



No comments:

Post a Comment