Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Women In My Family History: Part 14


Amelia Jane Sullivan

1845 - 1900


Amelia Jane Sullivan was born in 1845 in Miami County Ohio but while she was still a baby migrated with her parents to Miami County Indiana.  Her father was a teacher,  and it is my understanding that she also taught prior to her marriage to Samuel Patton in 1863.   Since Sullivan is one of my Irish lines, and today is St.  Patricks Day,  I chose to honor Amelia today. Somewhere in my file cabinet I have school records of students and grades for Nead School in Nead Indiana that if I remember right were written out by Amelia.  I looked in the file cabinet prior to this blog and could not locate where they are filed. I was a little limited on how long I could stand on one leg and look through files with my broken leg though so  if I ever discover my memory did not serve me right I will add a comment to this blog correcting the information.  But I feel confident they were Amelia's.   At any rate,   Samuel and Amelia had  seven children and one was a daughter named Clara Barton Patton who married Leroy Shepler and they had five children,  including a daughter named Georgia who married William Harvey Rairigh.  Georgia and Harvey were the parents of my mother's father.  School in the midwest during the 19th century was different than it is today.   You will find a list of differences HERE.  Please feel free to click on the preceding link  for more information and enjoy the video that follows.  Note that the school shown in the video would have been earlier in the 1800s than Amelia would have been teaching and it is located in Northern Ohio instead of Central Indiana.  Nead School still stands today but in a new building. 





No comments:

Post a Comment