Sunday, March 6, 2016

Women In My Family History: Part 4



Luciel Rairigh

1907-1952


 In this segment of my series of Women In My Family History celebrating Women's History Month, I am honoring Luciel Rairigh.  She was the sister of Loyd Rairigh who was my mother's father.  I did not know her as she passed away before I was born but my mother had been especially close to her so I heard many stories about her.  Aunt Luciel had a built up shoe which she needed to wear due to having had polio.  She never married.  She worked in the office at Senger's Dry Goods Store in Peru Indiana.  Luciel had an impact on my life because as a child we moved around the midwest because my father worked for the N&W Railroad and each new place we moved my mother would find a shut in of a polio victim to visit.  Often I went with her and sat in living rooms and played as mom visited with a person in a wheelchair.  I believe these early experiences influenced my choice later to go into nursing and instilled compassion into my make up.  Therefore the reason I decided to honor her in my blog is the impact she had on my life in spite of being gone by the time I was born.  Please follow the link to the site about Senger's store and enjoy the video that follows.  



No comments:

Post a Comment