Saturday, March 5, 2016

Women In My Family History: Part 3




Hannah Hamilton Morris was born about 1740 and I have not found her death date or location. On May 2, 1759 she married David Morris.   Her husband joined the continental army and was captured by the British.  He died on the Prison Ship Jersey in December of 1779.   I blogged about David Memorial Day 2014 and that blog can be found HERE.  Then Hannah's son,  David Hamilton Morris,  left to join the continental army as a drummer boy in either late 1779 or early 1780.   Son David was wounded once but returned to service and served until 1783.  I have always been fascinated that after losing her husband she had to give her young son to the war effort too.  It must have been very hard for her and it has made  me wonder about the sacrifices that the women made in the early history of our country.   The following video is long but well worth the watch.  If unable to watch it all at once I recommend watching it in segments. It can be found HERE on FORA.tv  and is easily watched in segments.  David Hamilton Morris married Eva Ann Sailor and had a daughter named Martha Jane.  Martha married Francis Sullivan and had a daughter named Ammie Sullivan.  Ammie Sullivan I introduced in Part II of this series as the mother of Leona who died shortly after giving birth to my grandfather.  The quote at the top of the age is by Gouverneur Morris.  Hannah had a son named Gouverneur who was a captain in the Jersey Blues under General Anthony Wayne.  The man in the quote was born in 1752 and Hannah's son was born in 1763.  The Morris family was very large and my line was probably a lesser poor relation of the more famous Morris men.  I am not sure of the connections.  A county history does elude to a connection.  Please follow the links in this blog to read my prior blog about the British Prison Ships and to watch the excellent video on women's roles during our revolution.



No comments:

Post a Comment