Saturday, March 19, 2016

Women In My Family History: Part 18


Doris Ellen Shively
Rohrer/Whitehouse

1908 - 1994

My father's mother I knew as "Grandma Dorie".  She was born in 1908 in Miami County Indiana.  In 1928 she married Fred Rohrer and my father was the result of that union.  They divorced in 1933 and she later married Robert Whitehouse.



She passed away in Fort Wayne Indiana in 1994.   I remember her as my pretty grandma.  She took great pride in her appearance and where ever she went heads turned.  Another thing I remember about her is playing card games and board games with us.  She always wanted to have a good time.  Along with games she was the best cook ever.  Her specialty was candy.  In fact for a time she worked at Wayne Candy Factory in Fort Wayne Indiana.  I fondly remember her home made fudge that was her contribution to the Christmas meal.   I consider the greatest gift she gave to me was the desire to sparkle.  While I am sure I don't pull it off as well as she did,  it is my goal to be a bit girlie in my presentation.  One of the things that Wayne Candies was known for was the BUN candy bar.  It is still made but by another company and has never been a bar but is instead round.  I love them.  I found a copy cat recipe online for them that follows:


Copy cat Pearson's "Bun" candy bars

Ingredients

1 pkg
(12 ounce size) chocolate chips
1 pkg
(12 ounce size) butterscotch chips
1 jar(s)
(18 oz. size) creamy peanut butter
1 c
butter, softened (2 sticks)
1/2 c
milk
1/4 c
vanilla pudding mix not instant
1 tsp
maple flavoring (or vanilla or caramel flavoring)
2 lb
powdered sugar
24 oz
1 jar dry roasted peanuts

DirectionsStep-By-Step


1
Melt chips together and add peanut butter. Spread 1/2 of this mixture into 9 x 13 buttered pan. 

In saucepan, mix butter, milk and pudding mix together. Boil 1 minute. Add flavoring and powdered sugar. Spoon over first layer. Chill. 

Add nuts to the remaining peanut butter mixture. Spoon over 2nd layer. Chill. Cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment