Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Amanuensis Monday - On Tuesday this week

I was away this past weekend and am playing catch up this week.  Here is my Monday Amanuensis post.

A  man named John Newmark is the original creator  of the concept of a weekly amanuensis blog but other bloggers have joined in.  HERE is the original explanation of the concept.  I am the worlds worst skimmer when it comes to reading.  And the harder the item is to read the less of it I take my time and read word for word.   Therefore I know this would be a very worthwhile exercise for me to do once a week.  My lack of self discipline will probably not allow it to happen on a weekly basis but whatever I do get transcribed will help me to read that document carefully.  I have been very fortunate that I have a friend who loves to type and often will type things up for me.  But to do some of them myself will help me to look at the documents more carefully. If the reader clicks on the image of the record they should be able to see it more clearly.


This week I chose two obituaries.  They are my children's father's mother's adoptive parents.  


 The Peoria Journal Star  Friday October 1,1965 

RAYMOND GREUEL
Services for Raymond A. Greuel, 61, a resident of Peoria Heights for the last 40 years, will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the Wilton Mortuary with the Rev. John M. Hoffmann officiating.
Burial will be in Springdale Cemetery,  Friends may call at the mortuary from 7 to 9 p.m. today.
Mr. Greuel died at 5:15 a.m. yesterday at Methodist Hospital where he was admitted Sept. 25.
He was born May 16, 1904 at Ray, Ill.  the son of Albert and Rose Kinney Greuel.  He married Gladys Fry in 1925 at Peoria and she survives.
Also surviving is one daughter,  Mrs Rosemary Lyle of Dover, Del; a brother, George Greuel of Peoria, and four grandchildren.
Mr. Greuel was a tool crib workman at Caterpillar Tractor Co. for 25years,  last working Aug. 4, 1964.  He was  a member of Peoria Heights Congregational Church.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Peoria Heights Congregational Church building fund.


The Peoria Journal Star  Monday May 9,1988
GLADYS GREUEL
Gladys L. Greuel, 78, of 1011 E. Rouse Ave., Peoria Heights,  for 60 years,  died at 11:15 a.m. Sunday at Methodist Medical Center,  where she was admitted April 25.  Born May 13, 1909, near Rushville, to Harland Mary Kathrine Pryor Fray,  She married Raymond A. Greuel in May1924 in Peoria.  He died September 1965.  She also was preceded indeath by one grandson, one sister and one brother.  Surviving are one daughter,  Mrs. Rosemary Lyle of Peoria: four grandchildren, five great-grandchildren: and a number of nieces and nephews.  She was amember of the Peoria Heights Congregational Church and a former member of the Order of the Eastern Star.  She was librarian at the Heights Library from 1944 to 1950,  then worked for an aluminum siding company in the Heights.  From 1955 to 1974 she worked in the Kentucky Fried Chicken office. Services will be at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Cumerford-Endsley Memorial Home.  The Rev. Allen J. Dempsey will officiate.  Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Memorial Home.  Burial will be in Springdale Cemetery.


I had forgotten where they had worked, that they were members of the Congregational Church,  and that Gladys was a member of Eastern Star.  

No comments:

Post a Comment