Monday, July 10, 2017

Amanuensis Monday

A  man named John Newmark is the original creator  of the concept of a weekly amanuensis blog but other bloggers have joined in.  HERE is the original explanation of the concept.  I am the worlds worst skimmer when it comes to reading.  And the harder the item is to read the less of it I take my time and read word for word.   Therefore I know this would be a very worthwhile exercise for me to do once a week.  My lack of self discipline will probably not allow it to happen on a weekly basis but whatever I do get transcribed will help me to read that document carefully.  I have been very fortunate that I have a friend who loves to type and often will type things up for me.  But to do some of them myself will help me to look at the documents more carefully. If the reader clicks on the image of the record they should be able to see it more clearly.



Robert Lisle (Like, Lyle) Sr
 born in Ireland bef 1765 
died in Lancaster County, Pennyslvania  bet 1818-1820
Immigrant ancestor of my children's paternal line. 


To the honorable to the judges of the Court of Common Pleas, in of for the county of Lancaster holding an adjourned court for the said county the 28th day of July 1802.  

The petition of Robert Lisle a native of Ireland most respectively of herewith,

That your petitioner is desirous of becoming a citizen of the United States and enjoying the protection of the good laws and government thereof.  Your petitioner therefore prays your honorable court to grant his petition upon his faithfully complying with the requisite conditions of the act of congress ratified the 14th day of April 1802 entitled "An Act to establish a uniform rule of naturalization and to repeal the act heretofore papered on that subject." and your petitioner as in duty bound  will pray
this   Robert Lisle   mark     

The subject being first sworn doth declare to his knowledge that the petitioner has resided within the United States for upwards of five years, of within the state of Pennsylvania, the year last past,  that during that time as this informant truly  believes he has behaved as a man of good moral character, attached to the constitution of the United States, & will be disposed to the good order & happenings of the same.  Alex M North


The petitioner being first sworn does declare, that he will support the constitution of the United States, and that he doth, absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all alliance of fidelity to any foreign Prince, Potentates  State of Sovereignty, whatever and particularly to George the Third, King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland.  his      Robert Lisle     mark

sworn by subscribe in this county 
by Alexander, Matthew & Robert Lisle 
July 28, 1802

M Oberman
for
W Barbon
esq





I am not sure I transcribed every word correctly but I think I got the main ideas.  By transcribing this document I have googled the Naturalization Act of 1802 and learned more about that act.  I took a workshop at the 2016 OGS conference on Naturalization which can be accessed HERE and it was a really good workshop.  But I would benefit from reviewing the information.  My original goal in genealogy was to get each line to immigration.  I would love to have more documents like this in my data base for other immigrant ancestors.   




No comments:

Post a Comment