Monday, July 3, 2017

Amanuensis Monday

A  man named John Newmark is the original creator  of the concept of a weekly amanuensis blog but other bloggers have joined in.  HERE is the original explanation of the concept.  I am the worlds worst skimmer when it comes to reading.  And the harder the item is to read the less of it I take my time and read word for word.   Therefore I know this would be a very worthwhile exercise for me to do once a week.  My lack of self discipline will probably not allow it to happen on a weekly basis but whatever I do get transcribed will help me to read that document carefully.  I have been very fortunate that I have a friend who loves to type and often will type things up for me.  But to do some of them myself will help me to look at the documents more carefully. If the reader clicks on the image of the record they should be able to see it more clearly.


"Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2013," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XD2X-V49 : 8 December 2014), Daniel Shively and Caty Bowman, 13 Jan 1821; citing Montgomery, Ohio, United States, reference Vol A-1 pg 94; county courthouses, Ohio; FHL microfilm 1,030,835.


From the Shively Family Bible in my possession


Daniel Shively Jr (1800-1863) and Catherine Bowman (1801-1885) were married in Montgomery County Ohio (1821).  I have had the above Bible page scanned into my data base for quite sometime. And last pm while I was working through the task list on my page at the  Family Search group tree I was excited to find the image of the marriage record.  

If one skims down to fifth couple it reads:

Married on the 13th of January 1821 Daniel Shively Jr and Caty Bowman. 

It appears that the individual  who performed the marriages are listed at the end of each list and that Daniel and Caty were married by David Bowman.  Since these two pages are all listed in the same handwriting I have to assume it is a transcribed record and not an original marriage record.   I should look up David Bowman and all the people in that list he married because they likely were of the same church group and probably lived near each other. Travel took a long time back then.   Looking up these details will give me the type of history that will paint a clearer picture of this couple and the extended community in which they functioned.   

My father's mother's maiden name was Shively.  Daniel Jr and Catherine were her great grandparents.   

No comments:

Post a Comment