Friday, July 26, 2019

Chair Bags 2019


     There doesn’t seem to be very many opportunities to do things for my children anymore.  They are very independent adults.  But I do get to sew chair bags for my daughters kindergarten classroom every few years.  I think the last set I made lasted five years. This year was a chair bag project year.  The hardest part for me any more is getting them cut out.  The amount of fabric purchased is very large so it requires getting up and down off the floor multiple times.  I am not getting any younger.  Therefore I drove the four hours to my daughters on an early April weekend and we tackled cutting them out.   









     After the pieces were all cut out and we had experienced an enjoyable pajama party weekend,  I headed home and the next step was to serge all the edges.  It always is a struggle for me to thread my serger and I wasn’t able to get the tension quite right. But I knocked them out and had them all serged a few weeks later. 








The next step was to assemble the pencil pouches and attach them to the rectangles. 









After attaching the pencil pouches the sides were sewn and the chair bags were finished.  








In the classroom, kindergartner's do not have desks.  They have tables.  The chair bags hold folders and supplies so that precious learning time is not wasted waiting in line at cupboards getting what is needed for the next lesson.  







      I am not sure if these chair bags will last five years like the last set did.  But we have added a new project.  Using scrap fabric from all the years I have made chair bags, I am now working on book caddies.  They will be taken back and forth from home inside the child's back pack with reading assignments inside them.  This will be helpful because lunch boxes and every thing else gets shoved into back packs.  Since the book caddies will be leaving the classroom and going into homes, there will need to be a new set each year.  This will give me an annual  winter time project if they turn out to be helpful.







No comments:

Post a Comment