Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Poem For This Week



Spring Cleaning
by

Thanks to my husband I support myself
by caring for an oversized doll house
that I love and hate and wish would collapse
into a heap of building supplies.  If

you come up with a better word than housewife
I'll wear it.  In the meantime, call me Ms.
Not MRS.  Haven't I the right to choose 
my own name?  Though I don't control my life,

allow me at least an identity.
not Miss.   Not Madame.  Like a ManuScript,
a Motor Ship, a Master of Science

or memoriae sacrum:  the memory 
of a divine but vulnerable spirit
damaged by elbow grease and compliance. 

(I found this in "If I Had a Hammer:  Woman's Work" by Sandra Martz.  Click on the poet's name to learn more about her.  Even though my current schedule prohibits me in joining in with the Poetry Wednesday Group,  I still plan to post a poem every couple of weeks here at MP.)

No comments:

Post a Comment