Friday, October 1, 2010

The House Of Seven Gables - Salem Massachusetts.




Peg and I arrived in Salem late on Sunday evening (9/26/10) after an Amtrak ride that lasted almost 24 hours. We settled in our two bedroom suite at the bed and breakfast, showered and ordered a pizza. On Monday we wanted to take it easy since we were tired from the train ride so we did things locally in Salem. Neither of us are tourist trap types so we avoided things like "The Witch Museum" and "The Museum of the Forty Whacks". One of the things we did do was visit the house that inspired Nathaniel Hawthorne to write "The House of Seven Gables". This tour was my favorite thing we did in Salem. Dated back to the 1600s it is the oldest home I have ever been in. Browse the pictures and follow the links provided to learn more about the house.

http://www.7gables.org/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/28/arts/design/28anti.html?_r=1


http://www.salemwomenshistory.com/Caroline_Emmerton.html

4 comments:

  1. col pic and great name for a hotel enjoy your visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not the bed and breakfast. This is a house we toured on Monday. I have some pictures of the bed and breakfast I will post later as I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way these wooden houses are painted all different colours, they look like little model houses, way to neat and pretty to be real houses. .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you Loretta when I made the statement that this house that dated back to the 1600s was the oldest home I have ever been in. I know on your side of the puddle you are able to tour through buildings that are thousands of years old.

    ReplyDelete