Monday, July 20, 2015

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult




by



Recently,  I was on a road trip with my daughter and son in law.  It was a very long road trip and we listened to a few audio books to help pass the time.  One author I felt I could trust our time to was Jodi Picoult and we chose her newest book.  We could not have made a better selection.  The novel is called Leaving Time and is about the mother/daughter relationship in both people and in the animal kingdom - specifically elephant moms.    A daughter is in search of her mother who became a missing person ten years before.  The daughter is aged 13 in the book.  The mother is a research scientist who studies the grieving patterns of elephants.  In this book Jodi Picoult has  woven a sit on the edge of your chair masterpiece.  If it doesn't make my top ten list for 2015 I will be surprised,  although I have enjoyed some really good books this year.  The book also has a shocker ending that I would not have guessed in a million years.  It is wonderful.  Also featured in the book is an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee that exists in real life.  You can read more about it HERE.  I was so impressed by the book and the elephants in the book that when I was looking for a way to say thank you to my brother in law for dog sitting my daughter and son in law's two dogs while we took the trip  I decided I would adopt an elephant in his honor at the sanctuary.  My sister and brother in law are so excited about their adopted elephant they are talking about taking a side trip to visit her during a vacation they will be taking soon that will  bring them near the sanctuary.  I would encourage everyone to not only read Leaving Time but to talk their book clubs into reading it also.  Please follow the links by clicking on the authors name and book title above.  And enjoy seeing my adopted niece,  Tange, in the following video. 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment