Monday, June 12, 2017

Belated Saturday Night Genealogy Challenge - Recent Ancestor Photos

I am now three days beyond the Saturday Night Challenge but wanted to jump in belatedly.  The challenge and the other participant links can be found HERE.  And a copy of the challenge follows:

1)  Do you have photos of all of your ancestors back to the 1850 time frame?  Which recent ancestors do you not have a photograph of?  

2)  Review your files, and list the ancestors for whom you want and/or need to find a photograph.  Also list where they resided and where they died.  Where would you look to find a photograph of them?

3)  Share your answers on your own blog post (and leave a comment here with a link), or on Facebook or other social media.



I feel very fortunate in that I have a lot of photos of recent ancestors.   All my grandparents,  all my great grandparents,  and many of  my great great grandparents.  In most of my lines that covers to 1850.  There are three individuals beyond that time that had children in the 1860's so I had to go back one more generation and I don't have photos.  I will list the names of those missing photos and where they lived and died.   I did not check for photos for every one alive in 1850.  Only for those born in 1850 or later with the following exceptions who had children after 1850.  


 Third Great Grandparents
Abraham Shepler 1821 - 1891  Born in Rockingham County Virginia and died in Miami County Indiana.  In between he lived in Montgomery County Ohio and Marion County Kansas.  

Sarah Wissenger  1823 - 1870  Abraham Shepler's wife.  Sarah was born in Montgomery County Ohio and married Abraham in Dayton Ohio.  She died in Miami County Indiana.  She lived in Marion County Kansas too.  

The above couple were involved in the German Baptist Church.   Besides their other descendants perhaps descendants of the other members of the churches they attended might have old photos of their own ancestors that included group photos at functions where mine were present.  


Francis H. Sullivan 1822 - 1878  Born in Maryland died in Indianapolis Indiana.  Buried in Cass County Indiana.  

I am in contact with descendants and have not seen a picture of Francis H. Sullivan.  I am not sure where to look.  He did teach school for awhile.  In between living in Maryland and Indiana he lived in Miami County Ohio.  Maybe I could look online in  the Ohio Memory Project.   Or perhaps check with descendants of his siblings.  His father was in the War of 1812 so perhaps the Daughters of the War of 1812 might have some lineage lines for me to check out.  

2nd Great Grandparents

Herman August Funk 1850 - 1916 born Marburg,  Prussia, Germany  died Miami Indiana United States (I am wondering if that should be died in Cass County Indiana) 

Sarah Amanda Zelner about 1852 - 1879  Herman Funk's wife.  Born in Lehigh Pennsylvania died in Indiana.  I am pretty sure she lived in Trumbull County Ohio awhile.  

I don't know if there would be any pictures of Herman in Germany.  He grew up in an orphanage but did become a Lutheran Minister before he immigrated.  So maybe the institution that educated him would have a photo.  Or perhaps USA cousins of mine might have one.  Common descendants might have one of Sarah too but she died so young.  There might be a wedding photo though somewhere.  

Justice Hildebrant 1843 - 1883 born in Prussia died in Cass County Indiana.  

Louisa Raymer 1848-1906 wife of Justice.  Born and died in Cass County Indiana.  

The Raymer family was fairly well to do.  There should be some family pictures somewhere.  I could check the Logansport Indiana library vertical files or check with the Cass County Indiana Historical Society Or perhaps find a descendant that had some photos.  

This was an interesting exercise.  It was fun to review all the photos.  And it is always interesting to see all the work I have to do yet to fill out the the lives of the people I have already found that are in my family tree.  


No comments:

Post a Comment