Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Waste Free Kitchen Handbook by Dana Gunders








I am not sure exactly when I became aware of how bad our food waste problem is but this book has been on my wish list to read for awhile.  I like to keep a non fiction book going along with my fiction book I read at bedtime and my audio book I listen to in the car and so I checked out this one from my list at the State Library of Ohio digital books site onto my kindle app on my iPad.  I find non fiction easy to pick up a read a bit and lay down as tasks need to be completed.   It is a very informative little book and a quick read.  It contains a lot of  tips and has a recipe section on using up left overs.  What I noticed when I read it was that I was raised to do a lot of the things she mentioned.  My mother could squeeze the buffalo off of a nickel and waste not want not was the mantra of many of the people who lived through the Great Depression, such as my mother, who was a child during that time.  My grandparents also did not waste anything as a result of the experiences they had during the Depression.  Today we have lost that mind set and young people are not taught the basic life skills that people of my generation grew up with as normal behavior.  The sections of the book on food borne illness were excellent.   She recommends checking out the CDC information which can be found HERE.   The only criticism I have of her book is that she seems to recommend zip lock baggies a great deal.  I wish there was an alternative to using disposable things made of plastic.  Gunders does recommend reusable containers when possible.  I did smile at one recipe that was to use up stale potato chips following a party.  I didn't realize anyone ever let potato chips get stale.  ðŸ˜‹  Please click on the author's name and book title above to follow three seperate links to more information.  And enjoy the video of an interview with the author that follows.  






No comments:

Post a Comment