Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Starting Thursday With Amanuensis Monday

I have had a busy week.  Sigh.  

A  man named John Newmark is the original creator  of the concept of a weekly amanuensis blog but other bloggers have joined in.  HERE is the original explanation of the concept.  I am the worlds worst skimmer when it comes to reading.  And the harder the item is to read the less of it I take my time and read word for word.   Therefore I know this would be a very worthwhile exercise for me to do once a week.  My lack of self discipline will probably not allow it to happen on a weekly basis but whatever I do get transcribed will help me to read that document carefully.  I have been very fortunate that I have a friend who loves to type and often will type things up for me.  But to do some of them myself will help me to look at the documents more carefully.



LeRoy Shepler (1864-1945) and his wife Clara Barton Patton (1866-1945)
she died in June and he in November


Another picture of LeRoy and Clara Shepler


Unknown which newspaper this is from but they were married in 1884 so this event would have been the year before their death. 


Mr. and Mrs. Shepler To Have Sixtieth Wedding Anniversary

Mr. and Mrs. Leroy Shepler, 334 East Fifth Street, will celebrate their sixtieth wedding anniversary Thursday, November 23, at their home. 

Mr. and Mrs Shepler have been life long members of the Church of the Brethren and their wedding ceremony was performed by Rev.  John Wolf, of the Pipe Creek Church of the Brethren, on the Ford Wallick Farm, in a house not now standing.  They are both natives of Miami County,  and with the exception of a few years in Cass County, lived their lives in Miami County.  They are eighty and seventy-eight years of age respectively.  

The children are Edward of Wabash,  Mrs. Harve Rairigh and Mrs. Charlie Oberlin of Peru,  and Mark of Logansport,  they have twelve grandchildren,  twenty-two great grandchildren and two great-great grandchildren. 

Although there will be no formal open house,  relatives and friends wishing to call may do so in the afternoon.  



What I learned from this exercise:

I am pretty sure this would have been from the local paper of Peru Indiana.  I thought they lived in Cass County longer than that.  When my mom took me to Mark Shepler's place it was at New Waverly not Logansport.  I never knew they were married at the Wallick Farm.  I lived on Wallick Road from sixth grade till I graduated from high school right down the road from the Wallick Mansion.  I don't remember much about Edward of Wabash so I should see what I can find out about him.   And I am pretty sure it was this Charlie Oberlin that married my mom and dad.  I didn't realize the Uncle Charlie that married them  was that many generations back.  I knew it was my great grandmother's brother in law but just never put the age range together.   


No comments:

Post a Comment