Saturday, June 3, 2017

The Which Ancestor Moved The Furthest Saturday Night Challenge

This week the Saturday Night Challenge is to determine which ancestor moved the furtherest.  The original challenge along with the links to every one's posts that participated can be found HERE.

Which of my ancestors moved the farthest from their home is not an easy question to answer.  There is no part of my family tree software that I am aware of that calculates that type of information.  So I had to rely on my memory.   My ancestors in general immigrated from Europe to Philadelphia and settled in Pennsylvania for a generation.  Then they moved on to Maryland or Virginia.  Another generation took them to Ohio and then another generation until they were in Indiana.  But I was able to remember one ancestor who immigrated from Prussia to America and then ended up in Indiana.   So that was who I picked as my ancestor who moved the farthest from his phone.

Herman August Funk was born in September 1, 1850 in Marburg, Prussia, Germany.   His parents died when he was an infant.  He was raised and schooled in an orphanage.   He trained as a German Lutheran Minister and graduated at age 17.  Then he came to the United States by boat with several friends,  one account says they sailed their own boat and another account says they were stow aways. Prussia does not exist any more but as near as I can google it is about 3,426 miles from Frankfort Germany to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  That is by air.  I could not find the milage by sea.   Then to travel from Philadelphia to Cass County, Indiana was 697.6 miles.  So I figure my farthest moving ancestor moved 4123 miles.  But I am not sure he moved farthest from home because I am not sure he had what counted as a home to move from.   The following are some pages from the Funk Family Bible.



No comments:

Post a Comment