Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by Jk Rowling



by

Reading the first two Harry Potter books has been a wonderful gift from my grandson who recommended the series to me.   I borrowed the first book from my daughter and the second book from the library.   Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the second book in the Harry Potter series.   It is the story of Harry's second year at the boarding school for witchcraft and wizardry.  I find the series very entertaining and there were times during this book I was on the edge of my chair because Harry got into some more adventures.  Make no mistake,  this is a book for kids,  but I have thoroughly enjoyed escaping into the world of Hogwarts School.  I make it a point in my book reviews to not give away too much information because I don't want to spoil the story for others.  Clicking on the book title and author's name above will allow the reader to follow links to more information as will watching the video below.  I do want to make a point of recommending this series.  It is great fun and wonderful escape to read these books.  The following quote from the head master of the school is from page 333 of the copy I read and I found it very profound:

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

I have heard people accuse the Harry Potter series of being evil and say that it drags children into the dark side of spirituality.  I think that is hogwash.  The books emphasize values like loyalty, honesty and hard work.  They take a stand against hurting others and encourage the importance of looking out for one another.   Certainly they are fantasy books but so are many fairy tales of times gone by.  Fantasy in not my normal genre although I have read some of it in recent years.  The Harry Potter series in my opinion is right up on the list with The Lord Of the Rings.  I highly recommend the series to both young people and adults. 




No comments:

Post a Comment