Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Fearless Female Blogging Prompt for March 20, 21, 22


Continuing with the Fearless Female Blogging Prompts for Woman's History Month,  which can be found in their original post HERE,  I am answering three of the prompts in this post.


March 20 — Is there a female ancestor who is your brick wall? Why? List possible sources for finding more information.


Catherine (Katherine?) Coolbaugh? (Kohlbaugh?) Sheafor

1755? - 1834?

The picture of the above grave is the grave of Peter Sheafor and can be found in Butler County Ohio. He was in the Revolutionary War.   His wife is one of my brick walls.  I have more female than male brick walls as women are so much harder to trace than men.  They didn't generally own property or have many legal rights so if they are found it must generally be in relationship to a significant male in their life.  I have exhausted almost all means to find out more about Catherine.  I still have a couple of the DAR source document files left to order from the website although I have ordered several of them.  There is a church that one of the daughters was buried at that I can't get a hold of any one to check for records.  I am not sure where Catherine is buried.  Perhaps I could check for internment records in both the cemetery Peter is buried and the one the daughter is buried.  I have checked family history of each of their children but perhaps I should get interment records from where each of their children are buried.  Catherine may be buried near one of them.  Peter and Cathrine started in New Jersey and moved to Mercer County Kentucky and then to Butler County Ohio. I have been to Butler County twice and to Mercer County Kentucky once.  I have been in touch with historical societies and researchers in New Jersey.  Sometimes with brick walls it is okay to sit on it and look again at a later date only to find the answer in the information that you had all along.  


March 21 — Describe a tender moment one of your female ancestors shared with you or another family member.


Doris Ellen Shively 
1908-1994
holding my dad


I was able to spend a fair amount of time with my father's mother growing up.  She was always eager to spend time with us.  Sometimes she would talk to me about her life.  My father was raised by my great grandmother as his parents divorced when he was young.  I can remember my "Grandma Dorie" telling of events in her attempt to be a single parent to my father that led her to eventually allow him to live on the farm with her ex-mother-in-law and what a very hard decision it was for her to make.   She was very emotional when she talked about the situation.  



March 22 — If a famous director wanted to make a movie about one of your female ancestors who would it be? What actress would you cast in the role and why?


Samlesbury Estate
Home of the Southward Family

Jane Sherburne Southward
born about 1575


During the Reformation in England the Southward family was split with some staying Catholic and some converting to the Church of England.  Jane Sherburne had the misfortune of marrying the son that converted.  The father of the Southward family was very strong in his Catholic faith and after his son died Jane ended up being put on trial for witchcraft.  She was found not-guilty and all the gory details can be read HERE.  I think the story would make a great movie and for the role of Jane in the movie I would pick Lucy Hale.  I think she is an excellent actress and she looks a little witchy when she is made up kind of goth in the series Pretty Little Liars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment