Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel




by



This book appealed to me to read because of my interest in Women's History.  Everyone knows about Galileo but few know much about his family.  I checked it out on my kindle app on my iPad from the State Library Of Ohio and found it a more difficult reading level than I normally read at so I had to renew it once in order to complete it.  The book is actually more about Galileo than his daughter but it also includes a great deal of information about her.  Many of the letters she wrote her father have survived and are used in the telling of this historical story. Sobel has created a very well written book with a lot of information.  I especially enjoyed the information on the plague,  Galileo's trial,  the nunnery,  and the herbs and medicines his daughter made at the convent.  I was also interested in the food and wine descriptions.  I struggled through the more scientific information on astronomy and physics and I found the Italian names and places hard to keep straight.  I don't want to spoil the ending for any one else but it has one of those moments at the end where one's heart jumps into your throat so it is very much worth the effort to get there.  It involves the moving of Galileo's tomb.  I recommend this book to those that read on a more advanced level.  Please click on the author's name and book title above to follow the links to more information and enjoy the video that follows.  





No comments:

Post a Comment