Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain




by



The book selection for the library book group I attend for March is The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain.  I finished listening to it on audio this afternoon.  It is the fictional story of a young woman named Riley who lost an older sister to suicide when the sister was seventeen and Riley was two.   As a result when she grows up she obtains a degree that enables her to be a school counselor in order to try to reach out to  young people who may be suicidal.  The story opens as Riley is having to clean out her father's estate after his death.  She finds out many family secrets as she goes through his things.   This book held my attention and I enjoyed listening to it.  It is like a mystery story as Riley figures out the pieces to the labyrinth of lies she was raised in.   I was impressed with the strength of the female characters in this book.  My heart went out to them many times.  There are two voices in the story.  Riley's voice and her sister Lisa's voice.   I think the novel is a lesson in the importance of being open and honest in a family although I don't think many families are very open and honest about hard topics.   I think this book will generate a good discussion in our book group and I highly recommend it to others to read.  It is not written on a difficult level and it is a book that really held my interest.   Please click on the author's name and book title above to follow links to more information.  And enjoy the video that follows which features the author sharing how she gets her ideas for her books.  





No comments:

Post a Comment