Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Fearless Female Blogging Prompt Post For March 7


Since I am still home recovering from this cold/flu bug I will go ahead and try to keep up and catch up with the 2017 Fearless Female Blogging prompts for March and Women's History Month.  The original post can be found HERE.    And the prompt for the seventh is: 


March 7 — Share a favorite recipe from your mother or grandmother’s kitchen. Why is this dish your favorite? If you don’t have one that’s been passed down, describe a favorite holiday or other meal you shared with your family.


I would not call the recipe I decided to share my favorite.  It is a favorite of my father's.  My mother made it for him sometimes but always complained it was too much work.  I am sure my great grandmother is the one that originally made it and so it is probably considered her recipe.  But it is clearly a Pennsylvania Dutch type thing to make.

Slickers

  • 2 Cups Flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon lard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
Mix like pie dough.  Roll thin.  Cut into 2 inch squares.  Drop one at a time in boiling broth. Cook 15 minutes.  Do not remove cover.


My dad liked slickers in his ham and bean soup which consisted of a ham bone and great northern beans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment