Saturday, March 11, 2017

Fearless Female Blogging Prompt for March 12



In keeping with the theme of Women's History Month I was pleased this year to find The Accidental Genealogist's daily blogging prompts which can be found HERE.  The prompt for March 12 is:

March 12 — Working girl: Did your mother or grandmother work outside the home? What did she do? Describe her occupation.

My paternal grandmother worked at Wayne Candies in Fort Wayne Indiana.  I can remember when we lived in various places in the midwest at holiday time large boxes of candy being in our refrigerator.  I especially remember marshmallow filled chocolate eggs at Easter time.  To read more about Wayne Candies click on THIS link.  The BUN candy bar is still my favorite although it is made by another company now since Wayne Candies is no longer in business. 

My mother was a RN.  She started RN school after high school at Gary Hospital Nursing School but dropped out and married my dad.  Then when I was in middle school she went back to school and finished at Indiana University Kokomo Extension.  Later she completed a ASN to BSN bridge at Marion College.  She worked at Dukes Hospital in Peru and was their Director Of Nursing for awhile.  Before she went back to school when I was a pre-teen she was a stay at home mom. 



Charlotte Ann Rairigh Rohrer 1930-1990

early 1950's


No comments:

Post a Comment